Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Me, on Meditation

For me the symphony of sleep is played by an orchestra of thyroid levels and medication, depression medication and good sleep hygiene. When my orchestra hits a sour note, it is often at 3am. Perhaps I was too sleepy from low thyroid levels and went to sleep too early. After what my body considers enough sleep, I wake up...at 3am instead of 6am. At this point my mind kicks into high gear. I think of Algebra exams or tasks that need doing around the house or worry about some concern of the week. Zelda, my cat, knows I am awake and usually sits on my chest or bites my arm lightly to encourage some interaction.

About two years ago, I started trying to meditate at this time. Nothing extraordinary, just the discipline of silence and stillness. Mostly, I just listen. It's quiet, it's dark and if Zelda will not bite me, it works pretty well.

I keep my eyes closed and try to relax any part of me that is tensed up. I breathe. I close my eyes. I see the color black; I think about what I see. Now, here is where I had to work on some of this. I can't just think of nothing and look at nothing. I am a visual person. So, I see the color black. I just look at that. I try to see into the blackness. It sounds kind of boring, but my eyes and my brain start to make little ghostly patterns in the blackness. (Now, sometimes, here, I just fall asleep. Deal done. That's fine. I am supposed to be sleeping anyway.) If sleep stays away, sometimes I repeat in my mind some phrase. It can be anything...a bit of a song or verse, a motto, a question. Or sometimes, I am just as silent as possible in my own head. When I am like that, I just go with it. It is very relaxing. Sometimes I think I "hear" something. A problem unravels, a worry falls away, a peace is created in me.

So often, when we pray, we ask GOD a question. How can we hear the answer if we don't listen, quietly, expectantly? Sometimes, when I am quiet, I hear GOD. At the very least, I know GOD hears me. Listen...

...don't be afraid to ask.

No comments: